Saturday, October 13, 2012

Texas Rangers Thoughts

Another season come and gone. After going to the World Series in 2010 and 2011 and coming up short both times, the Rangers failed to get past the wildcard playoff game in 2012. With a strong core of talent they led the Division right up until the end and a surging Oakland team caught and passed them in the final few games. So be it. As a fan looking forward I see things that I would change. My thoughts are my own and not based on any inside information or first hand knowledge or familiarity with any of the players, coaches or front office people. In other words, no one should consider me an expert. Not that anyone does anyway. Coaching: Ron Washington is a very experienced and knowledgeable manager. The failures of this season are not due to Ron Washington. Ron knows his players and their capabilities and utilizes them as well as any manager could. The only coaching staff issue I can see is at Hitting Coach. There were several players this year that had down numbers from the previous two seasons, most notably Cruz and Kinsler. The one that could benefit most from a new hitting coach though is Mitch Moreland. Mitch is a large, strong, country boy from Mississippi who has a lot of natural power in his swing. He can hit the ball way up in the upper deck in right. The problem I see with Mitch is that he swings for the upper deck on every swing. If Moreland would dial back the power a little he would gain more control and be able to adjust to the pitches better. Even dialed back many of his hits would carry out of the ballpark. A Home run to the upper deck does not count more than one that barely clears the wall and the resultant increase in batting average, especially with runners on base, would be a huge benefit. A hitting coach should be able to get through to Mitch and correct this easily. Batting Order: There are many theories on batting order. Kinsler in the leadoff, given his down numbers this year, does not make sense to me. I would take a look at moving him to possibly the number 5 spot. Elvis Andrus should be at Leadoff and Michael Young at the number 2 spot. I know this doesn't fit all the stats guys theories but I see Elvis as a guy who can get on base for the big hitters in the 3 and 4 spots. (Again, No One should consider me an expert.) The Hamilton Issue: Josh Hamilton is a free agent. He has been a star on this team without question and has been a major contributing factor in the Rangers success for the last few years. It is well known that he battles addictions. It seems that Josh has periods where he loses focus and loses his fire for the game. I guess everyone does at some time or another. With his overall numbers he should get a huge contract in free agency. If I were the Rangers, or any other team looking at Hamilton I would be very cautious on a long term contract and by long term I mean any thing over 4 years. Josh no doubt will get a longer offer from some team in need of a big bat. The only issue here for me is, Which Josh Hamilton will they get? Profar, Olt and Other Prospects: The Rangers scouting and development system is one of the best. At some point you have to stick some young talent in the lineup and give them a shot. I'm not saying that a 19 year old should be thrown into the lineup and told "You're our guy." Some will excel, others will not. Just give them the shot and support and if needed, move them back to Minor League ball for more experience. Running out and paying huge salaries for free agents to fill holes never really set well with me. Utilize the system and resources you have first, then consider grabbing available veterans. I'll stop for now. I know as the Off Season drags on I'll have more to say.

No comments:

Post a Comment