Tuesday, April 28, 2009

High Definition Reality Show

I have seen those wild car chases many times on TV. Helicopters, dozens of police cars and traffic snarled for miles. It seems like they always happen in L.A. I never considered that they might have one in, let's say, Georgia. Especially on the same road that I am on and at the same time.

I was northbound on I-75 this afternoon about 50 miles south of Atlanta. I switched my XM Radio over to FOX News just in time to hear Shep Smith all excited as he described yet another chase. This time it was a semi tractor with a man hanging on the back for dear life as police used spike strips to slow the vehicle down. He mentioned this one was near Atlanta. "Great" I thought. All I need is a traffic backup. Then he mentioned I-75. Uh-Oh!

Sure enough, I look out the windshield to see three helicopters up ahead just as Shep tells us that the truck is slowing down and about to stop. Oh Boy! Front row seats!

As I pass slowly by on the opposite side of the highway along with all the other gawkers, the police are rushing the truck and breaking out windows. I try to snap a pic but can't get a clear shot. Then "POP!" I hoped it was a tire blowing out. By then I am past the action and return my attention to traffic.

Later I hear that an officer was shot but would be OK. I am not sure that POP I heard was the shot but it was too close for comfort. Those cops really have a dangerous job. I appreciate them for their service.

Man! Talk about high definition television and reality shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment